A few days ago, I won this devotional from an auction to benefit a local family and their adoption process. I was very excited about this book. I couldn't wait to get started. Once I received the book and read the first part, I knew it would be something that I would want to share! My plan is to every day, share a page. I hope you all enjoy.
Now That Is Good
Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good.
Pulling the paper this way, folding it that way, Susie was hard at work. Her little hands didn't find the task easy, and she was concentrating as hard a six year old can. Finally, with a little smile, she lifted her special creation and said, "Look! Isn't it good?"
God gave us the ability the be creative, but He is the Creator of all things. In six literal days He created all things, including man.
- He created light and darkness on the first day (Genesis 1:3-4)
- Next, He created the heavens (vv 6-8)
- On day 3, God created the sea and the earth, the plants and the trees (vv 9-13)
- He created the sun, moon and stars on the fourth day (vv 14-19)
- On the fifth day He created the fish and the birds (vv 20-23)
- And on the sixth day, He created the animals and man (vv 24-27)
And God saw everything He had made, and indeed it was very good (vv 1:31)
Look out your window at the sky, trees, the people- He created it all from nothing.
But, you're wondering, what does this have to do with marriage?
Notice that the list above is hardly comprehensive; an important thing is missing. As Genesis 2:20 says, "But for Adam there was not found a helper suitable for him". God created man, but He wanted something better than a bunch of monkeys for man to hand around with. So God created woman out of Adam's rib, and Adam was breath-taken-away excited about her.
God, in His goodness, gave Adam the most suitable mate possible: she was bone of his bone and flesh of his flesh. And God, in His goodness, has done the same for you.
Thank you, creator God, for knowing what we human beings need in an companion. The heavens you created declare your glory! The spouse you created and gave to me declares your love! I'm humbled by and grateful for the gift of my spouse. Thank You, Father.
1. Head to the nearby zoo or aquarium and marvel at God's creation. During your day of fun, don't forget to marvel at the amazing creation you have personally received from God- your spouse!
2. Write a love note to your spouse. It doesn't need to be long, but take this opportunity to think about the blessing that your mate is.
No Greater Love
Russ W. Rice | Brad J. Silverman | Lisa Guest